The Changu Narayan Municipality, with an area of 62.98 square kilometres, is the largest municipality in the Bhaktapur district. The municipality is named after the oldest temple in Nepal, “Changu Narayan Temple”.
The temple was also enlisted as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979 A.D. That has now turned into a very popular touristic destination.
This municipality has never been a municipality before. On February 27, 2073, with a merger of the two municipalities named Changu Narayan and Nagarkot municipalities, the former municipality was formed. There are now 9 wards.
The most popular figures in the municipality are the Temple of Changu Narayan and the Nagarkot. Both of them lie on the top of the hills. Since the altitude range of the municipality is 1372 to 2191m, it has a cool, preferable climate. In particular, it is perfect for hikes.
The total population of the municipality is 55,430, according to the records of the 2011 Nepal Census. That somehow also clarifies that it has fewer people than the Bhaktapur Municipality though it is very large in area.
This municipality is famous for the Changu Narayan Temple and Nagarkot. But far from that, it also gets a little fame from its water supply business. Plus, the fertile soils there encourage agriculture. To plant more development on this land, Mr Jeevan Khatri is currently serving as the mayor of the municipality.